Introduction of the particles of conjunction
Particles which link words in sentences are called conjunctions.
Types of particles of conjunction
- وَ – and: appelé وَاو عَطَف: links one sentence to another or a noun to another noun.
- وَ – while appleé وَاو الحَال: comes between two sentences the second of which is a nominal sentence.
- فَ – then: it implies a close connection between sentences before and after it.
- أَوْ – or: to express doubt, or give a choice of one among few mentioned deeds.
- أَمْ – whether: for determination of one among few choices when the first object is preceded by hamza أ.
- إِذْ – when since/after/because: it is used with nominal or verbal sentences and refers to something of the past.
- إِذَا – when / if: it usually indicates a time related to the present or future.
- ثُمَّ – after that / then / thereupon: it often introduces sentences without a preliminary و or ف.
- حَتَّى – until / even up to used to indicate the termination of an object.
- لَكِنْ / لَكِنَّ: لَكِنْ is followed by a verb and لَكِنَّ is followed by a noun in the accusative e.g. and as prefixed to pronouns (example: لَكِنَّهُمْ)
- إِمَّا – either…or: when used twice in a sentence, it gives the meaning of “either…or…”
- أَمَّا – as for: it is followed by a nominative, the predicate of which is always introduced with a ف.
Stay updated with our latest offers, latest blog posts, and promotions.
Examples of particles of conjunction ised in the Holy Quran
فَلَا رَفَثَ وَلَا فُسُوقَ وَلَا جِدَالَ فِي الْحَجِّ
there is [to be for him] no sexual relations and no disobedience and no disputing during Hajj. (2:197)
وَآتُوا النِّسَاءَ صَدُقَاتِهِنَّ نِحْلَةً
And give the women [upon marriage] their [bridal] gifts graciously. (4:4)
فَتَلَقَّىٰ آدَمُ مِن رَّبِّهِ كَلِمَاتٍ فَتَابَ عَلَيْهِ
Then Adam received from his Lord [some] words, and He accepted his repentance. (2:37)
وَلَا تَحْلِقُوا رُءُوسَكُمْ حَتَّىٰ يَبْلُغَ الْهَدْيُ مَحِلَّهُ
And do not shave your heads until the sacrificial animal has reached its place of slaughter. (2:196)
فَمَن كَانَ مِنكُم مَّرِيضًا أَوْ بِهِ أَذًى مِّن رَّأْسِهِ فَفِدْيَةٌ مِّن صِيَامٍ أَوْ صَدَقَةٍ أَوْ نُسُكٍ
And whoever among you is ill or has an ailment of the head [making shaving necessary must offer] a ransom of fasting [three days] or charity or sacrifice. (2:196)
أَمْ حَسِبْتُمْ أَن تَدْخُلُوا الْجَنَّةَ وَلَمَّا يَأْتِكُم مَّثَلُ الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِن قَبْلِكُم
Or do you think that you will enter Paradise while such [trial] has not yet come to you as came to those who passed on before you? (2:214)
وَإِذْ قَالَ رَبُّكَ لِلْمَلَائِكَةِ إِنِّي جَاعِلٌ فِي الْأَرْضِ خَلِيفَةً
And [mention, O Muhammad], when your Lord said to the angels (2:30)
إِذَا زُلْزِلَتِ الْأَرْضُ زِلْزَالَهَا
When the earth is shaken with its [final] earthquake (99:1)
وَقَالَ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا أَإِذَا كُنَّا تُرَابًا وَآبَاؤُنَا أَئِنَّا لَمُخْرَجُونَ
And those who disbelieve say, “When we have become dust as well as our forefathers, will we indeed be brought out [of the graves]? (27:67)
ثُمَّ كَلَّا سَوْفَ تَعْلَمُونَ
Then no! You are going to know. (102:4)
فَلَمْ تَقْتُلُوهُمْ وَلَـٰكِنَّ اللَّـهَ قَتَلَهُمْ ۚ وَمَا رَمَيْتَ إِذْ رَمَيْتَ وَلَـٰكِنَّ اللَّـهَ رَمَىٰ
And you did not kill them, but it was Allah who killed them. And you threw not, [O Muhammad], when you threw (8:17)
فَإِمَّا مَنًّا بَعْدُ وَإِمَّا فِدَاءً
and either [confer] favor afterwards or ransom [them] (47:4)
أَمَّا السَّفِينَةُ فَكَانَتْ لِمَسَاكِينَ
As for the ship, it belonged to poor (18:79)
You have now completed this Arabic lesson. The next one will be insha’Allah about interjection in Arabic.
Discover our private classes by Zoom or Skype with a private tutor